Substance 3D Painter

Let us know how to improve Substance Painter!
Some guidelines before posting:
- This place is dedicated to feature requests and/new ideas suggestions. It is not made for bug reports (you can use the forum or the bug reporters for this).
- Before to create a new ticket, make sure your idea hadn’t been suggested before (if so it’s better to upvote it)
- 1 post = 1 idea

Thanks

1. Preset folders (Designer & Painter)

When having multiple presets, it would be handy to organize them into folders, both in Designer and accessible from Painter (sbsar).

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allowing to disable auto docking of UI elements

The auto docking of UI elements has a pretty wide radius and can be overly aggressive.
    I end up spending a surprisingly large amount of time undocking UI elements or carefully placing them so they won´t dock. It is slowing me down quite a bit and makes the tool less enjoyable as the UI gets in the way frequently.

This definitely is a matter of personal taste but having the option to disable docking or have a docking behavior that is closer to Photoshop would be of great benefit for many users.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3. There's a difference between a 2D view and a 3D view

Well, in my comparison, there is one difference between 2D and 3D views.The 2D view has weak light and shadow effects.This affects the export of the current version of the 2D view, so I can't get a perfect 2D light and shadow map.Hope it can be improved, thank you!
    Image contrast is the effect of a 2D map in a dark environment compared to a 3D view in Substance Painter

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Lock uv scale transformation in non square format

Sometimes it's useful to lock uv scale transformation in non square format, for example: 2 in U, 4 in V, if i lock after that it reset to U scale value so 2 in U and 2 in V, so boring... Thanks

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Save fur tool settings as preset

Can you add abilities for saving fur tool settings?

With respect and love for Substance Painter :)
    Thank you to team!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Different Display Mode between 3d/2d viewport

Hi,
    could be great if we could set a different display mode for 3d and 2d viewport, for example: paint in Mask mode in 2D viewport and be in Material Mode in 3D viewport for see the final result at the same time, actually it's linked.
    Thanks.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Ability to create mask with geometry name

In guerilla render you can use a node and regex to select piece of geometry you want to assign things.
    Imagine like a fill layer but instead of color or anchor point, you can select "geometry name", and thus, if you named ahead your geo, you can type "steel", "nuts", and it will create a b&w map with your regex selected geo in white and else black.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Possibility to hide cursor

I think it would be very convenient to have a shortcut to hide cursor when needed as in Photoshop with CAPS LOCK activated or something else.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. RLM Based Floating License Server Licenses

Make your software less difficult to manage in a VFX environement and add an option to buy/rent RLM based Floating Licences.

The login system is tedious to manage in a studio environment and eats up sysadmin/pipeline time when it should just not be a thing to worry about at all.

Your competition has them...

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Painter 2021 Geometry Mask (Focus on Not Hidden (F Key))

Currently substance painter 2021 release has added a new feature to be able to hide parts of a mesh and work with occluded parts, enabling texturing to be much easier, but currently the F key (Frame object) does not update alongside the visible geometry, meaning if you hide everything except a small part and frame, the objects focus will be the entire meshes bounds rather than the only visible part.

I suggest the ability to focus on visible mesh geometry as well as texture sets rather than full mesh bounds.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. 2D Texture bend

when using auto UV Unwrap, i would have to go along with substance painter UV maps, sometimes textures don't fit, for example like a zipper texture.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Paintable Mesh Maps

After baking the occlusion or curvature map can have some funky problems, most of the time stemming from intersection. You could fix that by exporting the mesh maps, editing them in a different program like photoshop, importing them back in painter and replacing the originals. But why can't we just edit them in painter on the fly and rebake with the edits made.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. HotKey for all effects been collapsed (Hidden)

Please, make hotkey for all layer effects and mask content will collapled (Hidden) in one time! This constantly interferes with project navigation, and closing one by one is not at all convenient, and the effects do not collapse at all!
    https://i.imgur.com/nLM45RZ.png

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. udim tile visibility toggle

Hello! It would be great if there were a visibility toggle on each udim uv tile, so that when working on one specific area of a detailed, multi tile texture/shader only the tiles being worked on would need to be loaded into ram.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Render in Iray looks like not not using NVIDIA DLSS

Is Iray using NVIDIA DLSS?
    Looks very noisy and I wish that DLSS is activated.
    Because with RTX 3090 is almost taking the same amount of time as my old GTX 1080Ti.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Keep settings input boxes active after hitting enter

After entering a number in a settings input box (for example: Roughness: 0.5) and hitting enter, keep that little text box active so that a new setting can be entered immediately by just typing, not having to click back into the input box to activate it again.

Unreal Engine does this and it lets you make quick minor iterations without taking your eyes off the model (especially if using the 10-key pad of a full size keyboard).

It's such a minor change to make but it would be so convenient!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Sub categories for materials

I don't want to have all my materials in a single collection. I want to be able to keep my own materials and variations in a separate folder from the default ones, and be able to put downloaded materials in their own folders..

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Merge layers button with photoshop plugin

Right now when you want to export using the photoshop button, all the layers go with it but all I need are the maps (diffuse, metalness, etc) exported into seperate psd files. I know there's an export to psd's when exporting your textures normally but this one is all merged into one psd file. It would be even better to just have it done with one click. Thanks!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. ID color picker location

When you rebake your maps after reimporting a corrected mesh the colors of the ID map changes. This cause all the layers that used color selection to break.
    If the pick color remembered where you did your pick color it could update easily all the colors for the masks.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. To be able to store baked maps on disk (not inside the substance file)

I'm working on a asset that has almost 40 udims. When I bake the utility maps needed for all those udims (some needing 8k) my file size increases to 20GB+ because all the maps are stored in the substance file.

I'd suggest an option in the preferences where one could choose a seperate location for those maps so every substance (and autosave) doesn't have to be so large.

This would save time on saves and autosaves (right now it's taking 3+ minutes on a 20+ GB file) and would also make me save the file more often, which reduces time…

34 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Substance 3D Painter

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base