Substance 3D Painter

Let us know how to improve Substance Painter!
Some guidelines before posting:
- This place is dedicated to feature requests and/new ideas suggestions. It is not made for bug reports (you can use the forum or the bug reporters for this).
- Before to create a new ticket, make sure your idea hadn’t been suggested before (if so it’s better to upvote it)
- 1 post = 1 idea

Thanks

1. Ability to draw straight lines more like photoshop so you can move back and forwards

I like the straight line function currently in substance painter but would love the addition of a more Photoshop like approach so you can move back and forwards on the line of choice, not just make a mark using 2 clicks.

So more a paint movement constraint type line drawing, less drag snap

21 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Opacity Map baking in Painter

Right now in order to bake an Opacity map you must bake it in Designer, then export the map into Painter.

It would be helpful to have access to the same Opacity baking capabilities inside Painter itself.

19 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Mirror Clone Symmetry Support

I would like to clone as a mirror. This way if I paint something and forget to have symmetry on, I can always paint that element back into the design by using a clone brush and the symmetry tool.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Add more jitter options to brushes

I would love to see hue, saturation, and value jitter sliders in my brushes like Photoshop has:

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

backlog (low priority)  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. A Hotkey To Turn Stencils On and Off

Presently, the painting tools do not allow for the user to turn off the currently selected stencil without removing it from painting tool option.

For the sake of speed and the ability to go back and forth, It would be nice to have a simple hotkey to turn it on and off without having to remove the selected resource from the stencil option.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Ability to draw splines on model

Similar to 3d spline paint tool in 3d coat but do something even better.

In its most basic form these splines can then be used as vector masks, that can be stroked to create lines or filled to create specific shapes

They can even be used as path for creating effects like stitches zipper in a non-destructive editable way and can be moved around on the model to position perfectly.

This can even be enhanced further by allowing us to save preset shapes that can be projected on to a model and further edited.

195 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

backlog  ·  34 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. synced viewport channels and material channels

Lets say i want to cycle through the channels on the viewport, but it would also be nice to have them sync with the layer channels so i would be able to paint straight on the channel im looking on the viewport.

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. please make a goz bridge .

goz bridge between zbrush and spainter.
    include all maps. one button.
    yay

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Visual feedback for max frontal/rear distance in baking options

Tweaking the max frontal and rear distance in the baking options is like working in the dark, requiring endless adjustments.

It would be nice if you can see what you are doing. Perhaps a wireframe being drawn?

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Merge Layers like in Photoshop

That acutally should reduce computation time. I decide which layer convert to bitmaps before exporting, because even en 2048 by 2048 some detailed layers can get really heavy to export, but that's because the package has to lay down all the information while exporting, that's not smart.

213 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  27 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. More height (normal map) controls - low/mid/high frequency, bevel shape (curve), NDO-style

Currently (v1.5) we can only set height's intensity. It would make height much more useful if we had fine control over how the height map is interpreted.
    NDO is so powerful - has many presets for bricks, bolts, concrete etc. - just because it has the ability to control resulting bevel's shape. So it's easy to create a preset which adapts to a specific need.
    B2M has simple separate low/mid/high frequency settings, which is sufficient for many situations.

92 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. 8k and possibly 16k texture resolution support

We are working with 3D scans and photogrammetry and current 4k limit is prohibitive in most cases.

I guess there are a lot of potential customers in film/TV/HQ rendering or even next-gen game industries who would say the same.

149 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Open Subdiv or similar solution for viewport smooth preview

Hi Allegorithmic Dev team, it would be great to have a smooth preview option like Maya's 'numeric 3' smooth preview. it would be great to view what our final output might look like. [without textuing in an actual hi-poly model] [would be great for hard surface artists]

23 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Smart Material Parameter Attribute Holder

It would be nice for smart materials (and to a lesser extent smart masks) to be able to expose parameters from the sub-layers and place those in the top level folder for the smart material itself. This would allow the developer of the material to mark key parameters for adjustment and the users of the material to avoid diving through the layers to make simple adjustments.

I envision it working similar to how it does in Substance Designer. Just have a little expose button that would expose a parameter to a selected parent folder.

I love smart materials and they…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Export for the Congfiguration/Preferences

I work on several PCs - and I want to be able to take my preferences with me. Ideally there should be either a folder where they are saved (I couldn't find any so far), or give a proper export button for all settings.

Even worse, right now when I update sometimes the prefs are reset - so I have to for example change the setup for my keyboard shortcuts every time.
    In general the settings should be improved - there should be more, and there should be a search function (Directory Opus is the best example of how to…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Place Mesh browse and refresh button on the UI

Currently a 3 click process buried in a menu - I would really like to request a change to how meshes are bowsed and re-imported into painter. With baking it is quite common to make changes to meshes which involves a lot of re-importing. It would be terrific if on the file or tool bar to the far right was a browse button, the name of the mesh file currently loaded, and a refresh button that will re-import the same file.

For example with this, after making changes to my mesh and coming back to re-bake in painter, all I…

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Lights and Camera views - Highly sought after presentation/iteration features

Now that we have Iray and the potential to have nice, higher resolution images done right inside of painter, the thing that is lacking to most maximize that right now is the ability to add and control some lights in addition to the IBL. This is an advantage Toolbag has as a renderer, and one that would become less important if we could do that right in painter.

This is one of my highly desired features and I hope it is seriously considered. The IBL is great, but not highly controllable. Being able to add a point light for a…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Have a minimum brush size

Similar to Photoshop - have the ability to set the minimum brush size as a percentage of the full brush size.

Example: sometimes I am trying to spray on some dirt using pressure-sensitive brush size, but end up drawing what looks like a pencil line instead - I didn't mean the brush to be THAT small!

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Designer/Photoshop Style Overlay Layer Blending (sRGB)

By default, Painter's overlay layer blending mode uses linear computation. Having an option to use sRGB Overlay, like that found in Designer and Photoshop would be of great help to those of us trying to work on stylized textures in Painter due to the unique way it blends.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

backlog  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Substance 3D Painter

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base