Substance 3D Painter

Let us know how to improve Substance Painter!
Some guidelines before posting:
- This place is dedicated to feature requests and/new ideas suggestions. It is not made for bug reports (you can use the forum or the bug reporters for this).
- Before to create a new ticket, make sure your idea hadn’t been suggested before (if so it’s better to upvote it)
- 1 post = 1 idea

Thanks

1. Hotkeys for brush type.

I have my favorite brushes, and i want be able to bind my hotkeys to speed up the work. For example: Default Soft brush-"Alt+D", Dirt 1-"Alt+A", Scratches 4-"Alt+S" etc.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Export only selected maps from a preset

Currently, if you want to export a preset you have to export all of the maps in the preset, which is helpful if you are going for a complete export. However when editing only BaseColor to look better in other software it would be helpful not to have all to export all of the maps from the preset, but just selected ones. I know that this can be achieved with multiple export presets and just switch between them, however, it creates an unnecessary amount of presets in the list. What do you think?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Import Resources default values

When importing resources to the shelf, the default values should be set to the most common — at the moment the default resource type is "undefined" and the default directory is blank. Both of these are the least useful of the possible options, so why make them default? If the default resource type is "Texture" then 80% of the time, I won't even have to touch that button. "Current Session" is probably the most reasonable default for resource directory.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Resolution export checklist

Hi, I came up with an idea for a, (RESOLUTION EXPORT CHECKLIST), sometimes with a multiple texture list, it will get kind of hard to remember resolution for export, for example, when I go to export, sometimes I would have to flip back and forth to see what item to pick for a certain resolution, I know i can pick the resolution before I go to export, but my computer slows down. So that is why I came up with a (RESOLUTION EXPORT CHECKLIST), and at the same time keeping my computer fast and snappy. Thank you

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Navigation presets

It would be nice to have a choice of navigation presets for various 3d programs that people are familiar with... Blender, Maya, 3DMax, etc.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. pencil tools just like in photoshop

I have to back to use the old manual photoshop way to do the perfect pixel alignment and this is really slow us

the pic below create in photoshop

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Eliminate Morae Pattern

High frequency tileable height map patterns for things like textiles create a morae pattern in the viewport when viewed at a distance. The antialiasing post effect makes the morae pattern slightly more blurry, but does very little in terms of eliminating it.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Hide Seams Layer

In the layers panel, there are options for adding a paint, fill, smart material, etc.

I would like to suggest adding a "Hide Seams" option that would create a paint layer that is set up to paint over seams.

But, I'd like it to be smarter than manually creating a paint layer where I have to manually change all of the channels to "Passthrough."

When I do it manually, there doesn't seem to be a way that I can create a brush that includes all of the effects that have been layered on the object.

So when I begin to…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Add a preview image in the cursor for clone stamp

SP2 doesn't have a "preview" for the clone stamp's source inside the cursor, like photoshop does, and once you've click to begin cloning then the source is always relevant to your cursor. What that means is that if I click to begin the cloning and find out a something is not perfectly aligned, I have to reselect my source and try again.

Cutting down on the back and forth could go a long way toward speeding up clone stamp and really help Substance stand out as a Photogrammetry tool.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Plugins in a custom location

Ability to put plugins in a custom location.

It would be incredibly useful for people using source control (like P4), to have the ability to put plugins in a custom location, so they can share it across workspaces. Right now, the problem can be solved with symbolic links, but that's messy and creates a whole mess of potential issues that could be circumvented if the shared location could be referenced directly.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

backlog  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. VR HMD Previews or painting - HTC Vive iRay Viewport Painting

It would be great if we could paint in a 3d viewport in an HMD like the Vive. See our object Using iRay and paint using one controller for rotation and the other for the brush.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Autonomous Render/Load Thumbnails In Shelf

I'd like for the thumbnails in the shelf to load/generate without one having to select the category or having to scroll down to get them all generated.

For example, launch Painter, go get coffee, all thumbnails are generated.

As it is now, one can let it sit there and it will not generate thumbnails beyond the ones currently visible in the shelf.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. improve the features of the bake lighting with environment node

It would be great to be able to add additional lights in the bake lighting with environment node.
    Defining the shape and blurriness of the lights would be a very handy feature, too.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Brush spacing preview or arrange tool

Hi there,

Here's my idea:

Like the patterns in the picture below, I want to paint a row of them(by holding ctrl+shift ),and leave about the same space on both sides.
    So before painting,I need to know exactly how they're gonna be arranged on the surface by the spacing value I set on brush.
    But for now I have to paint and undo, again and again until I get the result I want. :(

So it would be nice to add a preview of it in main view, maybe a toggle on tool menu or something.
    Or perhaps a new…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Use a sbsar as a Painter pre-export process

The ability to add an sbsar as an export processor step on export from substance painter

Example: Drop a sbsar into a painter export template that adjusts levels of an output texture on export.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Substance Painter scene organizer aka ''Outliner"

Would be great to add new or additional geo into painter scene. And abilitiy to reload selected part of geo. As in Marmoset.
    Also possibility to import a camera. And ability to freeze the camera position.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. the idea for the convenient use of "shelf"

Good afternoon! I work in your package, and I like it, but as the work I had some ideas at the expense of "shelf" and I would like them to sound. Why not make a separate button on the top of the "shelf", what would it be able to press and it opens it up to full screen. But then, when you choose the right mask, for example, and takes the mouse cursor to the area of ​​"shelf", it automatically disappears. And to make a hotkey for "shelf", what would it be able to press, hold, hover over what you…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Antialiasing settings by additionnal map

It would be nice to have different settings of antialiasing by additionnal maps :

for exemple :
    ID (no antialiasing)
    Normals, curvature,position (8x supersampling)
    AO and Thickness (2x supersampling)

It would be really appreciated.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Name of Exported Textures

Control over how the exported textures are named.

In many case, we use the same mesh multiple time to bake decals or tillable textures. Which means the exported textures are always named the same based on the mesh name.

In this case, the texture should be named from the painter solution, not the mesh or the material slot.

Decal1Albedo
    Decal1
    Metal
    Decal1_Normal

Tillable_Albedo
    etc.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)