Substance 3D Painter

Let us know how to improve Substance Painter!
Some guidelines before posting:
- This place is dedicated to feature requests and/new ideas suggestions. It is not made for bug reports (you can use the forum or the bug reporters for this).
- Before to create a new ticket, make sure your idea hadn’t been suggested before (if so it’s better to upvote it)
- 1 post = 1 idea

Thanks

1. Channel Selection Buttons for Blending Modes

I frequently forget to first check what channel I have selected in the drop-down menu before changing the blending mode/opacity on a layer, and I think it'd be nice to have the option to switch between a drop-down menu and buttons, like the channel buttons in the Properties tab. It's just a little visual cue to make it more obvious, so it doesn't take 5 seconds wondering why messing with the blend mode/opacity isn't doing anything, just to realize you were working in the wrong channel.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Bake AO based on materials

There are lots of situations where some parts of the asset move, and it ends up exposing the AO that is underneath them (and it looks like an artifact). So, there should be a way to assign materials to the groups/geos that are static and then select to bake the AO separately based on each color group.

In that case, there should be an option on the Ambient Occlusion texture set > Self Occlusion > and then on dropdown menu, select "By material".

It's something hard to explain but I'm sure those who use SP on a daily basis production…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Dockable UI after tear off

I would like to suggest a dockable UI that, after tear off can dock to a different monitor or placement that is remembered on reopen of painter, rather than free-floating windows that don't remember placement or size. The ability to save a particular workspace configuration would be ideal.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Paint across Texture Sets

To be able to paint across UV's on different Texture Sets.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Paint Layer with the same transform functions as a Fill Layer

I think it would be a great idea to have the same transform features as per the fill layer for paint layers. This means being able to visually manipulate the scale, position, and rotation within the 2D (UV) View, and having the same sliders where you can scale in either X or Y, ect...

This will save us time from having to use Anchors and referencing our Painter Layers in another Fill Layer. The transform filter has limitations and isn't as intuitive as a Fill Layer which is why a lot of people are resorting to using anchors as a…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Blender-style Customizeable Menu for Favorite Tools

This is something that seems so obvious for every DCC package to have:

Give me a one-key shortcut to open a customizeable menu that has Favorite tools I've assigned for common tasks for easier access. Right Clicking any option, or tool, brush, material, etc. brings up the "Add to Quick Favorites" option, and pressing the keyboard shortcut for that menu brings up all the settings I've added to it.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. More export options, like flags and texture renaming

Add more flags, like $size, and allow to change the naming, like albedo or diffuse instead of base color.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Skip autosave when there hasn't been any change

I sometimes don't close Substance Painter when done for the day. (to start a 8K export on all UDIMs for example). After the export is finished after a couple hours, Substance continues to save every half hour, even though there isn't any change between autosaves.

It seems fairly obvious, and therefore I'd like to suggest it as a new option in the preferences or just a new feature to only autosave when there has been a change.

19 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Transform tools suggestion

Really in desperate need of upgrades for transform tools.
    First: Global symmetry with triplanar or planar projection doesnt work in worldspace, would be great to have that working.
    Second: Would be great to still eb able to use transfrom tools when having multiple layers selected, big help!

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Symmetry worldspace location

Right now Substance only determines the position of the symmetry plane by using the center of the bounding box. You can offset this but it's mostly eyeballing when using different meshes. Give the option to allow the symmetry location to be alligned to the world space (placed on origin) and allow the offset to be done in standardized units that make sense like cm or inches, so you can correctly place your symmetry plane.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Make active the "export" button in the export menu for quick re-export

In Painter 2019, the "export" button was active for pressing Enter, and I could very quickly re-export maps using hotkeys:

control + shift + e
    enter

Please make this button active again, it is inconvenient to click with the mouse every time.

Or add a hotkey option to export maps with current export settings.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Hotkeys for Shelf

I'd like Hotkeys assigned to the different tabs in the shelf. One for Brushes, Alphas, Materials, Smart Materials, Smart masks.. whatever. And I'd like it to also be a pop-up window in the middle of the viewport, much like the right-click pops up the Painting window.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Is it possible to implement support for stylus rotation?

Controlling the rotation of brush alphas using the Wacom Artpen or other styluses that detect barrel rotation.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. If a paint layer exists in the mask stack, painting on the main mask should be disabled.

or better yet, the only way to paint in a mask should be on a layer. So many times I've unintentionally painted in the main mask layer only to have to go back a erase all my strokes manually since "clear mask" removes the entire stack. There should be at the very least an option to only clear the main mask layer and leave the stack intact.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Toggle mesh visibility by UDIM

I know that it's possible to hide masked UDIMs when painting but it would be nice to have that ability when not using a paint layer.

Using texture sets for visibily also isn't a great solution since painting across texture sets isn't possible and defeats the purpose of using UDIMs in the first place.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Merging Texture Sets

Merge the Texture sets on the export.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Ability to export Painter layers into separate image files

The following are the features I would need in the plug in.
    - Ability to export all the layers contained within a folder and its subfolders with a single click.
    - Export only a selection of channels for each layer as specified in the settings.
    - Export all the layers with their respective layer names
    - Replace the existing files without confirmation if the files with the same name exist.
    Ideally it would be great to have all these features in the plug in but if that is too much to ask, the points are arranged in decreasing order of…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Use Photoshop style color picker!

One of the few serious peeves I have with Painter that has NOT changed over the years is the useless color picker. You are part of Adobe now, get the photoshop color picker in there already! It would be nice to be able to put in colors by their web id or to be able to copy and paste a color value from photoshop rather than trying to get exactly the color you want with the dropper. This feature needs improvement, please!!!!

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Dragging a texture into Layer panel would automatically create a Fill Layer

Dragging a texture into Layer panel would automatically create a Fill Layer with said texture.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Substance 3D Painter

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base