Substance 3D Painter

Let us know how to improve Substance Painter!
Some guidelines before posting:
- This place is dedicated to feature requests and/new ideas suggestions. It is not made for bug reports (you can use the forum or the bug reporters for this).
- Before to create a new ticket, make sure your idea hadn’t been suggested before (if so it’s better to upvote it)
- 1 post = 1 idea

Thanks

1. Place Mesh browse and refresh button on the UI

Currently a 3 click process buried in a menu - I would really like to request a change to how meshes are bowsed and re-imported into painter. With baking it is quite common to make changes to meshes which involves a lot of re-importing. It would be terrific if on the file or tool bar to the far right was a browse button, the name of the mesh file currently loaded, and a refresh button that will re-import the same file.

For example with this, after making changes to my mesh and coming back to re-bake in painter, all I…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Designer/Photoshop Style Overlay Layer Blending (sRGB)

By default, Painter's overlay layer blending mode uses linear computation. Having an option to use sRGB Overlay, like that found in Designer and Photoshop would be of great help to those of us trying to work on stylized textures in Painter due to the unique way it blends.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

backlog  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Fill Layer Levels Property

It would be extremely useful if there was a levels graph by default on fill layers that affect only that fill and not part of the stack. Similar to how procedural grunge maps have properties that define them. Very often i use levels to affect a custom grunge map as fill in a mask. The problem is that any Generators/Paints/Other fills etc below that layer in the stack also get affected by that levels filter. As you can imagine this not desirable. There are works arounds using separate groups but this is very cumbersome.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Enhanced viewports and imported animated cameras including scan data cameras.

enhanced viewports and imported animated cameras including scan data cameras. I want to see my model in Front, Left, Top, Orthographic etc.
    - Render turntables from Substance Painter. This would be awesome for reviewing models. Ideally I could render a turn table with multiple passes from an imported camera view.
    -I should able to set the camera focal length and DOF etc.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Normal-map/Height-map hardsurface edges generation.

Select edges of a low-poly mesh and turn them hard or smooth withing substance painter and generate a normal map/height map for it. Adjust how smooth or hard an edge can be.

Basically no more high poly modeling for nice edges.
    I know its a bit of an crazy idea, but thought i should throw it out here.

25 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. 3d Mouse Support.

Support for 3dConnexion mice for navigating while painting.

263 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

backlog (low priority)  ·  171 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Mouse and keyboard shortcut sets for Maya, MODO, Blender & Max

To make it easier for users of Maya, MODO, Blender & Max, in SP preferences have an option to switch between different mouse navigation and keyboard shortcut configurations that match those in the above mentioned 3D programs.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Backface cull option and shortcut when selecting area to mask

Unless I missed it (I also double checked for topics about it on the internet), there is no way to control backface selection, which would be extremely useful mais selecting a mask area for exemple. Right now when I select polys for my mask, it also select the face that are on the other side of the mesh....I'd really like a button / option / shortcut to activate / deactivate backface culling on selection, as in 3Ds max / Zbrush. Thanks !

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Color Palette

I would like to have a color palette were I can save all my base colors. At the moment the color picker doesn't quite pick the colors from my model 100% due to shading and maybe some other issues.

Maybe add the palette to the Base Color color window.

196 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

started  ·  42 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Smooth Brush when we hold down [Shift]

Smooth Brush when we hold down [Shift] and change hdri rotate to [shift+ctrl] or something

i think this would be e very user friendly feature after you get uset to it because sometimes you want to smudge right after you paint something like in zbrush for example, when vertex painting it became second nature to smooth something instead of switching to the eraser then setting up the eraser to be smooth and pressure sensitive flow

99 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  17 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Export screen to PSD

Capture and export the screen (either at screen resolution, or higher) to Photoshop for editing. Mudbox has this feature, and aside from being useful for projection painting (since you use Photoshop's entire tool set, such as its warping tools ), it's an easy way to fix seams. The affected area is captured, then cleaned up in PS using the heal brush or clone stamp. Once the document is saved, Mudbox re-projects. I'd even settle for this working in just the solo view modes. Here's Mudbox as an example : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxoGn1qPhYA Thanks for reading.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. DragRect functionality for brus1he

It would be great to have DragRect-like functionality from zbrush in Painter.
    The feature I am desribing allows to drop texture/brush/alpha in a specific location and while still holding the LMB rotate it and change its scale for precision placing.

It would be perfect for decals/custom alphas.

Below is a link to zbrush doc page explaining this well known feature
    (doc link : http://docs.pixologic.com/user-guide/3d-modeling/sculpting/sculpting-brushes/strokes/ )

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Support exporting as 24bit .tga (no alpha) with RLE compression

Like the title says. This would really help saving hard disk space. A lot of times we don't need the alpha channel, so 32 bit just bloats up the files. Smaller files would make both storage and uploading easier.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Copy image/layer/maps to Clipboard, open file location in explorer.

To quickly look at maps closer in Photoshop, quickly make changes to maps or masks.

In Unity, I can right+click the texture I want to edit, choose open file and it automatically opens photoshop, I can make a couple edits, hit Ctrl+S and then go ahead and check the changes in Unity.

I would love to have that ability with maps and images in Substance Painter

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. the middle button to scroll all windows. it is very necessary for the pen without wheels.

(sorry my English) Substance is not enough for the scrolling window to the middle mouse button (especially the pen without wheels). I really like the way scrolling is implemented in Blender. How it works: Place your cursor anywhere in the scrollable window and click the middle mouse button, you can then move the mouse / stylus up or down. You do not have to aim the scroll bar. This is very convenient especially if you work without a stylus wheel, it adds speed to use.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Remember last Brush settings for each layer!

It would be very handy, if Substance Painter could remember the last brush settings for each layer. If you work on different paint layers and you are going back and forth, it takes a lot of time to change the brush settings for every layer over and over again.

Helpful would be, if there were an option that painter would remember the last brush settings (like alpha, mask, substance / color, height, metallic and roughness values). That would speed up the workflow between different layers.

Thanks!

55 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

backlog  ·  6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Gradient map

I would love a gradient map tool, just like substance designers. It is so awesome, and the baseline for almost all stylized work. Could be an option for fill layers, perhaps?

71 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

backlog (low priority)  ·  12 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. copy/paste content between channels

One big attribute I miss from Mari, is their ability to copy/paste between channels. As it is now, if I lay down some texture in color, then later decide that I want it to inform the height, there's no way to do that without painting it all over again.

45 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  10 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Quickly rotate the view with the numpad like in Blender

Just like in Blender:

Numpad1 = front view
    Numpad 3 = side view
    Numpad 7 = top view
    Numpad 5 = toggle orthographic/perspective
    Numpad8/2 = orbit 15° up/down
    Numpad 4/6 = orbit 15° left/right
    Numpad . (dot) = center view on object (like the F key)

Holding the Ctrl key while hitting a numpad key should have the opposite effect (bottom instead of top, right instead of left, back instead of front).

This is an extremely fast, efficient, and intuitive workflow for navigating the scene and adding it to the Substance products would be super helpful for both Blender users…

18 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Warp Tool ala Mari

...basically adding "Liquify" abilities to the already existing Projection Tool.

See video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGuiSuZAjoM

108 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  20 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Substance 3D Painter

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base