Substance 3D Painter

Let us know how to improve Substance Painter!
Some guidelines before posting:
- This place is dedicated to feature requests and/new ideas suggestions. It is not made for bug reports (you can use the forum or the bug reporters for this).
- Before to create a new ticket, make sure your idea hadn’t been suggested before (if so it’s better to upvote it)
- 1 post = 1 idea

Thanks

1. Tighter orbit and framing of solo textureSets parts

If you solo or work on a portion of an asset, the framing (F) of the bounding box will do so for the whole asset instead of the portion you want to focus on. This requires extra work in zooming into your area of interest. Example: Solo the head of a character to paint but the framing will do so for the bounding box of the entire character.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. alphas/stencil scale control

I find the ability to rotate the alphas and stencils great. Would also be nice to have negative scale control so that you can flip the patterns across an axis.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Automatic Export Path

This is probably heavily dependent on personal work flow/pipeline, but I often find myself having to re-set the export path of my texture maps after opening each project file.

The main issue I have is when I open a new file, the export path stays linked to my old asset so I have to change the directory every time. It would speed up exporting if the default behavior of Substance Painter was to export files straight to the project file directory, and maybe have an override directory that the user would have to set if he is exporting all the…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Baking Dialog - Fix Pressing Enter In Numeric Fields Behavior

Typing a new number into a numeric field in the Baking dialog and pressing Enter causes UI sections to collapse and/or causes the scrollbar to jump. This is obviously undesirable. Pressing enter should ONLY set the entered numeric value.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Export selected textures only - per texture set - and being able to override resolution per texture

1. I would like to be able to simply disable some of the textures on exporting the set.

For example i am having albedo, metallic, roughness, normal and ao.
    Sometimes i do not heed the ao and metallic maps. Other time i do not need the normal.

Currently i should create a ton of texture configurations or i have to export all the textures every time and delete these that i don't need.

1. Being able to override the resolution per texture on export is also really helpful. This is however already suggested.
    5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. export textures maps of different assets to different folders at once.

It would be great to be able to export texture of the different assets or materials to different folders at once you export all the texture.

Example: I have a hat, a pants and a shirt. I want export them to a specific folder like "Hat folder" and so on .

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Painting Improvement: Trim Dynamic-like Brush

So today I was trying to paint folds in SP just to realize: It is really hard.
    We have the basic components. We can set the brush to height only and choose our height level. Then we can use pressure sensitive brush size to draw out our initial folds. With proper alpha we might even get nice round elevation that is starting to look like cloth.
    We hit the wall here, though. Now we would need to go in and start to work the edges but we don't really have the tools for that.
    In traditional painting we would use…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Make 'file type' per texture instead of global export option

I often want to export a bunch of maps as one format (.JPG) but still have some as another format (.PNG). It would save me so much time if I could set the file type per map instead of as a global setting.
    So, for example, I might export:

BaseColor: JPG 50% Compression
    Normal: PNG
    Roughness: JPG 75% Compression
    etc...

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Random alpha from selection, or image sequence on brush alpha to paint different shape leaves, feathers, rocks etc.

I would love to see the option of adding a random alpha that changes as you paint. (maybe from an image sequence, or dragging more than one alpha into the brush alpha slot).

Each painted stroke would choose a different alpha based on the alpha spacing.

For painting different shaped leaves, bird feathers etc.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. IRay Renderer Profile Save

Let's say for this particular shot I rotate the environment; change the FOV; orbit the camera around, adjust after post effects and do other rendering effects. Great! I saved the rendered environment as an image file and move on towards the next planned shot of course changing the rendering settings.

But then there's a minor tweak I have to adjust in the previous render shot and to go back to that previous shot I have to adjust my render settings to match or closely match it. That's a lot of work.

Which is why I think it would be a…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Batch baking multiple sets

Right now we can either bake a single set or all sets.

Please can we have the ability to bake more than 1 and less than all sets at the same time.

Thanks!

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Lock rotation of the 2D window.

Please provide an onscreen toggle to enable/disable rotation of the 2D UV window.

While the ability to rotate the UV view can be useful, this user only ever rotates it by accident, and then has to interrupt working to rotate it back again.

So please, allow us to lock the UV rotation.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Pen Pressure button

Pen Pressure button has 2 option : No pressure and Pen Pressure and I have to switch by Press + select option. My question: Why do we have to press + select option while it's only 2 options ?? Why don't we set default as No pressure and Active Pen Pressure when we need ???

As Photoshop, you need Pressure ??? just Enable Air_brush button.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. double click to change normal map/hard surface stamp

It would be handy if double-clicking the hard surface normal map stamps would change to the one you double click on, similar to how double-clicking an alpha would change to the newly-clicked on alpha. Currently you need to drag the normal map stamp into the normals slot.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Allow importing into custom or new shelf

Allow to import resources into existing preset shelves or a new shelf right within the import window.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. brush / stamp align option

on the existing stamp > hold Ctrl + Shift then drag mouse > stamp to add an option to stamp once, so we can align stamps since symmetry doesn't work on multiple objects in one obj / fbx file when doing painting details

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Export High Res Masks

It seems you can only export masks that are of the current documents' size. This is a bummer if you need to work with something higher than 4K outside of SP. When you right click and "export mask to file" there should be an option for resolution.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. transformation tool

It would be nice to be able to move and rotate a mesh inside the Substance Painter scene, like in other 3D program. This way, we could paint in area that has close meshes.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Hotkeys for Alpha Hardness

Hello! It would be great to make two hotkeys to increase and decrease alpha hardness. On Paint Properties. For example, with a step of changing the value of 0.1.
    Then you can not touch the mouse and do not search and press the side buttons on the stylus. Very useful. Thanks!

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Add a search field for layers

A small field similar to the one for textures, it would help artists with finding layers by highlighting and ease work between people involved in the same project. Not to mention proper naming will make even more sense.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Substance 3D Painter

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base